15 Minute Portobello Pizza's
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 6-8 people
Ready in: 15 minutes
- 6-8 portobello mushroom caps , stems removed, washed and dried with a paper towel
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 onion dices thinly
- 6 teaspoons Italian seasoning (or a dried oregano and basil leaf blend)
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce (best with garlic and herb)
- 1 1/2 cups reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese (or a pizza cheese blend of your choice)
- 1 pepper sliced (green, red or yellow)
- 8 cherry tomatoes , sliced or chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 180 and arrange oven shelf to the middle of your oven. Place the portobello caps open side up on a baking sheet.
Combine the oil, garlic and 4 teaspoons of the seasoning together in a small bowl. Brush the bottoms of each mushroom with the garlic oil mixture and place each mushroom, oil side down, on a lightly greased baking tray.
Fill each mushroom with 2 tablespoons of the pizza sauce per cap, 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese, onion, peppers and tomato slices. Broil / grill until cheese has melted and is golden in color (about 8-15 minutes).
To serve, sprinkle with the remaining Italian seasoning (or mixed herbs), and season with salt and pepper to taste.
You can broil/grill mushrooms before hand for a softer base if preferred. (2-5 minutes)
You can also add salami, pepperoni, bacon and chicken if you would like to add more protein, as well as chili flakes.