Skip to content
13 Tips to Keep You Smiling
- Ten minutes of focusing on the positive and visualising the future each day can change the way you look at life.
- Don’t take life so seriously – a good belly laugh helps digestion, helps lower blood pressure and releases natural pain killing endorphins that make you feel great and help to boost your immune system.
- Connect with Others. Research suggests that people who feel connected are happier and healthier.
- Help Others. Research suggests that those who consistently help other people experience less depression, greater calm and fewer pains
- Get professional help if you need it. If the problems in your life are stopping you from functioning well or feeling good, professional help can make a difference
- Give your partner, friend or family member a hug every day before work or school. Studies show this simple act can help you remain calm when chaos ensues during your day.
- Have a good cry. It can boost your immune system, reduce levels of stress hormones, eliminate depression, and help you think more clearly.
- Give yourself at least one compliment each day.
- Chewing a piece of sugarless gum may help lower a stress hormone called Cortisol.
- Do a puzzle, like Sudoku, each day. This will not only exercise your brain, but will also distract you from the things that are stressing you out.
- List 3 things you are grateful for every day. This will make you feel more positive, help you sleep better and make you feel more energetic and alert.
- If you find yourself paying more attention to your phone than to your family, or your heart speeds up whenever you see that flashing message light, take a BlackBerry break for a few hours (or even days).
- Singing is great for both mental and physical health. It is relaxing, improves breathing and even muscle tone.